A Brief History of Aslockton
Aslockton Gate Way Following the withdrawal of the Roman Legions in the 5th Century the area was occupied by the Early Saxons, who probably moved the settlement to the centre of the current village (around the Cranmer Arms). In about the 8th Century the early Saxons were replaced by Danish settlers, the name Aslockton is derived from the personal Danish name Haslache and the Saxon suffix for farm or a settlement, early representations of the name were Haslachetonne. What is now the Parish of Aslockton was split into three Danish Sokes ('Manors'). The Doomsday Book records those three Manors. The Northern Manor (from Mill Lane) formed part (with Orston and Thoroton) of King Edward's Royal Estate, the Southern area (from Abbey Lane) under the jurisdiction of Whatton and the central portion was granted to William D'aynecourt by William I. This Manor was held by the D'Aslackton family until the marriage of Isobell D'Aslackton to Edmund Cranmer. The Manor then passed to the Cranmer family.
The Settlement of Aslockton. The Manor then passed to the Cranmer family and can be traced back to at least the Iron-Age.
Evidence of occupation in the later Iron-Age (5th Century BC) through to the Romano-British era which ended in the 5th Century AD has been found on Mill Lane. During this period the settlement was centered mainly on the North side of Mill Lane.
On the west side of Main Street, Cranmer House occupies the site of his original residence. On the east side of the village is a series of earthworks known as Cranmer's Mound. These are the remains of a garden belonging to Cranmer's family. The mound itself may originally have been a Norman motte (castle mound). The earthworks have been designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
There were a number of common land ownerships in Aslockton and Scarrington and in consequence the Enclosure Act of 1781 was jointly enacted by Aslockton and Scarrington. Aslockton was a chalcery within the larger parish of Whatton cum Aslockton from at least the 12th century and residents of Aslockton had the rights to burial in the Parish Church of St John of Beverley in Whatton. In circa 1864, the link with Whatton was severed and Aslockton was joined with Scarrington. This move gave rise to a public subscription and the purchase of the non-denominational cemetery on Mill Lane. Aslockton was rejoined with the parish of Whatton in 1919.
On 15 June 2007 part of Aslockton was designated a Conservation Area. The Conservation Area is based on the historic core of the village which extends back from both sides of Main Street. The centre of the village has buildings dating from the 19th century or earlier and includes several large detached houses, many smaller houses, cottages and farm buildings and two pubs. The parish church of St Thomas is a Grade II listed building and dates from 1891. The remains of the 15th century Holy Trinity Chapel can still be seen which is incorporated into a larger building. At the southern end of Main Street is the railway station which also includes a Grade II Listed Building.
for more information please visit the Cranmer Local History Group website www.cranmerlhg.org